Isle Of Skye Report

08th March 2016
Had a good trip up the Glencoe and the Isle of Skye with Guy, Richard (Professor Smart) and Aegis in mid-February this year.
The trip got off to a slightly delayed start as Guy's satnav packed in just before he set off to pick us up and he had to use the back up one. The one proved to be one of those satnavs that is interested in just about every route except the most direct one. It got lost a lot. Like me without a satnav.
It did give a chance to watch Dance Mums on a Saturday lunch time which sounds like some sort of speciality video which I understand might be available on the internet (Dance MILFs?). It was in fact an everyday story of mothers who like to argue with the dance instructors, their own children and other mothers whilst the dance instructors generally shout at everybody.
Cutting Dance Mums short we headed up to Glencoe via Glasgow Airport for an overnight stop with Mr Carson, Frank to his friends. Well to us anyway.
The weather forecast was good so we made the most of it by heading out early to photograph the Glencoe favourites of Buachaille Etive Mor and Black Rock cottage which hardly ever get photographed. For a week when the kids were on holiday it wasn't to busy.
After a good day around Glencoe we headed up to our base on the Isle of Skye which was on the outskirts of Portree. Next to the fire station in fact. We were very lucky to find that the fire station crew had recently installed an outside generator and they were seemed to be very proud of it. So proud were they that they played it long and loudly into the night which was not annoying in the slightest. We remarked on many morning how very annoyed we definitely weren't.
I woke on the first morning to find a Euro coin placed centrally on the bath map. All very odd as I don't recall ever wearing the clothes I had on in Euroland. Despite long hours of surveillance and a phone call to Derek Acorah, no progress was made in solving the mystery of how it arrived there.
Given the weather forecast looked like it would stay fine early in the week, we headed out early to photograph the Old Man of Storr. I knew it was a hard walk so I stripped out as much excess kit as possible. This still left enough weight that the average squaddie would have considered to be field punishment No 3.
We covered a lot a ground around the Isle of Skye in a lot a varying weather conditions. Some days were rained off and we sat in the car waiting for a brief break in the weather.
In Elgol, I waited patiently watching a lovely sunset develop behind looming storm clouds. Only at the crucial moment when the sun broke through the rain started exactly on cue and blasted straight into the lens. Impossible to take a shot. How does it know the specific direction to blow?
At Neist Point we risked an evening shoot in 50mph winds. The sea spray was blowing uphill and it was interesting to say the least. I had to spread my legs and bury my stubby 4 inches as deeply as I could into the soft yielding earth. Tripod legs and tripod spikes that it. I was pleased that the shot came out with no camera shake though.

All in all, we gave it our best shot for a week and a great time was had by all.

Scotland photos are in this gallery